As the nation rejoices over the release of 279 girls abducted by gunmen last week in a secondary school in Jangebe, Zamfara State, the abductees have continued to narrate their ordeal in the hands of the gunmen, whom they said took them 7km into the bush before getting motorbikes to convey them to where they were kept in the middle of the forest.
Recounting their ordeal to a reporter from a national radio network, one of the abductees said they were not only threatened with death but also fed, according to their tribes, with abductees from the Fulani tribe getting more food rations. In a report monitored by VERIFIED NEWS on Political Platform, a Ray Power Network programme, one of the girls told the reporter how they were given food, according to where someone came from. The reporter was told that a few of the girls who were Fulanis were the reason the gunmen softened from time to time in dealing with them. According to the reporter, “I was told by one of the abducted girls that they fed some of them once a day, while some were fed twice or thrice. Those of them who were Fulanis were fed better unlike the others. The girl told me the gunmen kept telling them to thank their God that they were kidnapped alongside girls from their part; otherwise they would have dealt with them thoroughly. They were made to explain their origin, with the names of their communities or towns”.
While initial reports indicated that 317 girls were abducted, the Governor of Zamfara State, Bello Matawalle had announced Tuesday morning that 279 were released. The Governor’s tweet to this effect read thus: “Alhamdulillah! It gladdens my heart to announce the release of the abducted students of GGSS Jangebe from captivity. This follows the scaling of several hurdles laid against our efforts. I enjoin all well-meaning Nigerians to rejoice with us as our daughters are now safe.”